Saturday 16 November 2013




                              MENTORING TIME






I have had many requests from young and aspiring fine artist who are willing for me to teach them to paint like i do. Most times I take it as a compliment but I also find it odd that a lot of up and coming artist still do not understand the fundamentals and spirit behind being creative.
Creativity in its various forms are expression which are gifts from God and are meant to be shared with humanity in general and the artist is a unique vessel to bring this to the world. The nature and approach of each artist is manifested in their different technic and signature. By signature I mean the constants observed in the paintings of individual artist. For example, the way brush strokes are laid and layered, preferences for some particular colors and sizes, plus a lot of other variables that we might not be able to discuss here.
Now, teaching anyone to paint like I paint is no problem, but even if I am able to find that one prodigy that finally is able to paint like me, what good have I done him. He will forever live in the shadows of Sam Ebohon.




 My point is this, you can observe and study anybody’s paintings. You can even go ahead and use his technic in achieving your objective but you must not lose your soul in the process. Your soul is what makes you who you are and it must be the greatest catalyst of your creative process. You can have bits and pieces of inspiration from the works of those you admire and would want to emulate (as we know that there is nothing new under the sun) but in the end it must be you that the viewer sees whenever they look at your work.
I believe every creative work is actually an experiment.. That is why we are expected to improve with each work we do. With this you will discover more of your abilities and capabilities every day. This is the way I started.

You can do it too.

I expect your reactions.

Sam Ebohon     

No comments:

Post a Comment